The history of the mill
Elisabeth Admiraal, born in 1702, widow of Roelof de Leeuw, ex alderman and mayor of Monnickendam, invested in the mill. She was already in her ninetees when she purchased the “Jan Betten” fen in the “Buiksloter” polder for the sum of 350 guilders in June 1792, the fen measuring “one deimpt and two and a half rod” (over half a hectare). In the same year the mill was built by the millwright Simon Krol and deployed by the end of the year.
At the end of 1793 Elisabeth Admiraal died and was buried alongside her husband in the choir of the “Great Church” of Monnickendam. The heirs to Elisabeth sold the “shell sand” mill and accompaning land to Jan Spaans in Buiksloot in 1806 for the sum of 3500 guilders. Jan Spaans died six years later (1812) at the age of 52 and a son from his wives first marriage, Timon Grool, became the new owner of the mill. Timon Grool sold the property to his son Simon on November the 12th 1842 for the sum of 4000 guilders. In 1877 Karel Hendrik Ditmar became the owner of the “Admiraal” as did Willem Johan Melchers in 1888.
He deceased in September 1896 and his son inherited the mill. Daniel Melchers installed an (heavy) oil engine and later on an electricity powered engine, not to be totally dependant on wind power.
Apart from selling chalk to painters and trass to masons for mortar, Danial Melchers also sold “Brussels Earth” to iron and copper foundries. He traded asbestos- and pumice cement sheets and also China-clay to potteries.
The raw materials, which were stored in sheds, were supplied by ship over the “Noord-Hollands Canal”. Fine sand was delved nearby “Groet” , a village near the coast in the province of “Noord-Holland” , cray in the north of France and trass in the Eiffel in Germany. Before 1920 the grinded products were transported by rowing boats, gondolas as they were called, to customers in Amsterdam. After that year the boats were replaced by lorries.
Daniel Melchers, at the age of 87, having no successor, closed down his business in 1954. The following year Daniel Melchers died and his heirs sold the mill for the sum of 80.000 guilders in January 1956. The new owner of the mill was the neighbouring “Sand and Gravel trading company formerly D. van Baarsen”, who used the mill as a storing space. Through lack of maintenance the millwork deteriorated. The mill opened up to rain and wind and in the end the sails and wicks had to be removed because of danger of collapsing. Over time the mill and the sheds were reduced to ruins.
In the sixties a group of people decided the downfall of the mill had to be stopped.