Anno 1792

Krijtmolen d’Admiraal

Restoration

 

Restoration

restauratie1

                 A heavy construction


After a committee of restoration was established by Mr T.C.Groot in 1964 (later on converted into the present day non-profit foundation), the preparations of preservation of the mill could be set in motion. From the fact that the chalkmill was not mentioned in the book on mills, published by the provence “Noord-Holland” in 1964, one can conclude that the mill was actually abandoned.
The chalkmill was granted to the non-pofit foundation by the “Sand- and Gravel Trading Companyformerly D.van Baarsen” on March the 30th 1965. The foundation had the intention to reinstate the mill in full glory for the grinding of misformed fireclay bricks, obtained from the brickworks. These bricks were to be grinded to powder which was to be used as basis for new bricks.

 

Restoration costs
The funding of the restoration was largely obtained through contributions made by the state, the province “Noord-Holland” and the city of Amsterdam. The contributions did however not completely cover the estimated costs of 212.617 guilders. Therefore organisations, such as the “Union of Businesses Amsterdam-Noord” stepped in and individuals also contributed. A large sum was acquired by means of the sale of specially made buttons which could be bought for one guilder in all the offices of the Savingsbank “City of Amsterdam”. The non-profit foundation made good use of the button craze which at that time was very popular with the youth in the Netherlands.

The restoration started in October 1965 and did not pass off without problems. At first one thought the foundation of the mill to be in a good enough state, yet later on that appeared not to be the case. The millbody was lifted from its foundation and put down dozens of meters further on by a floating derrick. The millwright J.C.Jonker from “Zaandijk” was able to commence the repair of the foundation and the renewing of the base of the shed and the square substructure under the reefing galery of this stagemill. This structure has been carried out in red iron wood, which has also been used for the new tailconstruction and components of the millcap. Other parts, such as the eight-sided hull, the “kingspindle”( the main shaft) and various cogs did not have to be replaced due to conservation  by the chalk-and trassdust. On May the 30th 1967 the millbody was put back on its original setting and the cap with its castiron uppershaft (dating from 1876) was lifted on top of the hull of the mill. The iron rods of the millwicks were also renewed.

D’Admiraal reopend

restauratie3

Burgemeester Samkalden

On Saturday, November the 4th, 1967, the  Mayor of Amsterdam, Dr.I.Samkalden, put d’Admiraal back into service by lifting the brake. One assumed at that time that the chalkmill  could be fully deployed again. One expected that the yield would cover the exploitation- and service costs and that even a small profit could be made. Despite various efforts it appeared not possible to exploit the mill on a commercial basis.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click here to see restoration photo’s

History 

Operation

 Welcome

 

Geplaatst op: 8 januari 2017 door beheerder